Following over 20 fascinating years in the Diplomatic Service and Civil Service, I set up ‘Diane McKelvey Editorial’ in 2016 on return to my hometown of Belfast.
I have always loved reading and words. I have an MA Hons in English Language and Literature from the University of St Andrews. More recently I have trained with the Publishing Training Centre and the Society for Editors and Proofreaders.
In my earlier career, I lived and worked in Russia, Southern Africa and the EU, as well as in London and Belfast. Working with a wide range of NGOs, businesses, policy-makers, technical experts and commentators, I saw first-hand how the accurate and skilful use of language can reach and influence people.
I have always enjoyed writing and editing for ‘plain English’: avoiding jargon, and adapting complex or technical material for non-specialist readers. My own experience of working in foreign languages helps me support writers who use English as a second language. My public sector roles always demanded attention to detail and the ability to deliver high-quality work to tight deadlines.
I now use this experience to support organisations, businesses and individuals who want to polish and improve their writing. Based in Northern Ireland, I am able to work with clients throughout the UK, Ireland and abroad.
I am ready to work in a wide range of areas, but offer specialisms in the following:
- Public policy and public sector/civil service
- Travel and international relations
- Russia, the Former Soviet Union, and Africa
- Humanities (literature, art, history, psychology)
- Editing non-native English
- Editing for ‘plain English’
- Editing in Word (ongoing) – Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Basic Proofreading (qualifying with Merit) 2017 – Publishing Training Centre
- Introduction to Proofreading 2016 – Society for Editors and Proofreaders